Mountain Bike Tour of the Altamura “Pulo”
An itinerary through the heart of the Murgia steppe, with a basic technical level of difficulty.
It takes place on a rural road, focusing on three points of interest:
1. The Altamura Pulo
3. Altamura old town and its antique bakeries
Holiday TypeBicycle Excursion, Guided Tours
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Min People
1. A Pulo is an ellictic sinkhole with an axe of over m.550 and a maximum depth of m.92, probably generated by a natural collapse of the top rocks.
On the north side there are plenty of caves, certainly inhabited by prehistoric people.
2. Nearby the pulo ,in a cave in the charming area of Lamalunga, was found the skeleton of a pre-neanderthal man (Pleistocene, between 50000 and 300000 years ago), called “Ciccillo” by the locals.
3. In the old town of Altamura we find a majestic cathedral, and bakeries where we will taste the DOP bread, baked on stone, and plenty of other culinary products.
CHARACTERISTIC OF THE ITINERARY
DEPARTURE POINT: Pescariello train station (coming from Bari, The Pescariello Station is the previous train stop before Altamura Station, - FAL railway)
DURATION: about 3 hours (break times included)
LENGTH: about 25 KM (but we can enlarge or cut the itinerary on demand)
ROAD SURFACE: 80% Rural road
- Bike and helmet
- Nature guide
- Insurance (RC)
- Visit of the "Man of Altamura" Visit Center
- Wear sport clothes;
- k- way and a change of clothes
- If you have bike shorts, use it!
- Water supply
- Sun glasses